1 Corinthians 6:15 - 20
"Don't you realise that your bodies are actually parts of CHRIST? Should a man take his body, which is part of Christ, and join it to a prostitute? Never! And don't you realise that if a man joins himself to a prostite, he becomes one body with her? For the Scriptures say, 'The two are united into one.' But the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with him.
Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immoraility is a sin against your own body. Don't you realise that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honour God with your body.'
So, technically, God is telling us, once we got saved, our bodies were not us. The Holy Spirit lives in us so we cannot disobey Him by going against this law. Set boundaries in your relationship (if you are courting). Sex outside marriage is showing that the covenant (the promise we made to God when we got saved) is not that serious. Marriage is a commitment in itself and pre-marital sex breaks that commitment.
What are the implications of pre-marital sex?
- Babies are created - as obvious as that is, we create completely messed up generations. We go in and out of marriages where the child has no father, then they end up growing up angry, bitter and full of wrath. They didn't have that BOND with their father so they end up killing, stealing or treating women with a lack of respect.
- STDs are more prevalent.
- It steals the JOY of courtship - when you are NOT focused on having sex with your boyfriend, this gives you time to connect with him. The fact that you do not set boundaries does not give you that emotional connection. Dating is meant for building trust as the foundation. - Song of Songs 2:7 - "Do not arouse or awaken love until it pleases"
- Sex creates soul ties. Soul ties can be created between a mother and a child - it's that emotional and spiritual bond you create with someone you are intimate with (through conversations or whatever). Sex is the highest form of a soul tie you create with somebody.
Some examples of soul ties in the bible:
- David and Jonathan
- Shechem & Dinah - Genesis 34 (Dinah was raped by Shechem)
How To Get Rid of a Soul Tie?
- Renounce those things that tie you to an ex girlfriend or ex boyfriend - take them out of the house and renounce your former ways. For example, old love letters, text messages,their photos etc. Let it out and confess it to the Lord, allow Him to give you strength.
Marriage is a covenant (like I said before) made before the Lord.
Matthew 19:6 - "Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together."
Malachi 2:13-16 - "Here is another thing you do. You cover the Lord's altar with tears, weeping and groaning because he pays no attention to your offerings and doesn't accept them with pleasure. You cry out, 'why doesn't the Lord accept my worship?'. I'll tell you why! Because the Lord witnessed the vows you and your wife made when you were young. But you have been unfaithful to her, though she remained your faithful partner, the wife of your marriage vows.
Didn't the Lord make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his. And what does he want? Godly children from your union. So guard your heart; remain loyal to the wife of your youth. 'For I hate divorce!' says the Lord, the God of Israel. 'To divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty,' says the Lord of Heaven's Armies. 'So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife'.
Pornography is a huge problem in today's world. Young people are curious and turning the the internet to learn about sex and relationships. I, for one, know how easily accessible it was when I was younger. I had friends who had laptops from a young age and it was very accessible. Research has found that 39% of boys in England aged between 14 - 17 watch pornography on a regularly basis. Child Line receive an average of 18,000 views a YEAR to its website message board regarding pornography. It's not even a growing epidemic any more, it's AN EPIDEMIC.
Pornography is basically gratifying your sexual nature OTHER than your wife.
Matthew 5:28 - "But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart."
Porn apparently has the same effects as taking cocaine.
The effects of Pornography
- Porn KILLS your healthy appetite - deal with it before your marriage. People may view porn due to loneliness or depression
- It causes the person to see people as objects rather than people - this destroys their emotional connection with their wife or anybody.
- It does not satisfy - you will always want more
- It takes the JOY of intimacy out of marriage.
- It makes your mind darker and darker
- It is self-love
- After viewing porn, it brings a sense of shame
- It is addictive (as obvious as that sounds)
Sexual sin not only affects YOU but it affects generations after you. For example, when a father is absent from the home, it is often the case that the son will do the same thing OR the daughter has issues trusting men in future due to that alone. OR if a mother drinks during her pregnancy, it is a well known fact that the mother's child will be more prone to alcohol.
I once read a story about a man who ruined the generations after him due to his sexual sin. This man was prone to LUST and had fallen for a woman who was one of his soldier's wives. He fell for her, she fell pregnant and when he found out she was pregnant, he did his best to kill her husband. By now, you should know that this is the story of David and Bathsheba.
Well, David's children were a MESS after that. Yes, David was a man after God's own heart but due to his sin, his family was a mess.
Let's take them in turn:
Amnon - this is one guy who fell in love with his sister, Tamar. Because of his selfish desires, he ended up raping her
Absolom - this is the one guy who slept with one of his father's prostitutes.
Adonijah - he requested one of the young maidens who took care of David to sleep with him
Solomon - well, you know about him. He had 700 wives and 300 concubines, just like his father went after all these women.
All this was due to David's lust - your purity is especially important, especially to your future children.
How to FIGHT against LUST?
1 Corinthians 6:18 - the Lord tells us to FLEE from sexual immorality. Remember the story of Joseph and Portiphar's wife? Well, this woman constantly tried to get Joseph to sleep with her and he literally FLED.Avoid movies with nudity or anything that will cause you to fall.
Job 31:1 - Job made a covenant with his eyes to 'not look on a woman lustfully'. You have to train yourself, especially the men. Be baptised in the Spirit of holiness. Ask for more of the Holy Spirit. The blood is on our hands. Ensure that you work on your salvation with fear and trembling.
Enjoy your moth of August!